Search For Your Car

Vehicle To Vehicle Plate Transfers

Now that you’ve got a buyer, you’ll need to know how to transfer the plate. It’s fairly uncomplicated but you will need to follow a few steps pretty methodically.

Where to transfer the plate

Do you want a vehicle to vehicle transfer or do you want to hold the registration on retention? Read on to understand your options.

Transfer from vehicle to vehicle

You can transfer a registration from your own vehicle to another one in your name. You can also transfer it to a vehicle that you are buying or transfer it to someone else’s vehicle.

You’ll need to be able to say yes to all of the following:

(* If the vehicle that currently has the registration is not taxed, the transfer is still possible provided that there is no break between the date the tax disc runs out and the start of the SORN, and the tax disc runs out no more than 12 months before the date you apply.)
Does your plate have a date identifier that makes it seem the same older than the vehicle it is proposed to be transferred to? YES or NO?
Are both vehicles of a type that need an MOT or Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) test certificate and do they both have a valid one? YES or NO?
Does your plate not start with Q or NIQ (these plates cannot be transferred)? YES or NO?
Are both vehicles DVLA registered? YES or NO?
Are both vehicles available for inspection? YES or NO?
Are both vehicles currently taxed?* YES or NO?

If yes to all of the above, you'll need to send the following to the DVLA:

  1. A completed V317 form – sections 2 and 3:
    V317 form
  2. The £80 transfer fee.
  3. The registration certificate V5C or the new keeper supplement with completed V62 application for both vehicles.
  4. A valid test certificate (MOT or HGV) where the vehicle is required to have one for both vehicles.

This will all need to be sent to the DVLA office at DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS - check the address on the form before you send though!

If you need to tax either vehicle you'll also need to enclose

  1. A completed V10 application for a tax disc (or the V11 reminder)
  2. A valid certificate of insurance (or appropriate cover document)
  3. The correct payment for the vehicle tax

If the vehicle that you are transferring the registration to is brand new/ unregistered then the staff at the dealership will be able to support you with the transfer. You’ll need acceptable proof of identity and proof of address. These will need to be sent to the DVLA along with your application to transfer the number plate.

What next?

Tell your insurance company about what you are doing so they can amend their records and your insurance certificate accordingly.

There’s a possibility that the DVLA will want to inspect either of the vehicles, although this is a rarity. If an inspection isn’t required then expect the process to complete within two weeks. You’ll receive:

  1. A confirmation letter from the DVLA.
  2. New tax discs for both vehicles showing the new and replacement registration numbers.
  3. The V948 authorisation letter to get the physical number plates made up.
    Sample V948 document
    Above: Sample V948 document
  4. A replacement MOT/HGV certificate if one is required.

New registration certificates will be issued by DVLA Swansea, taking between 4 and 6 weeks.

Search For Your Car

Please note: At the end of 2013 all 39 local DVLA offices closed and the DVLA transferred all dealings to its national centre at Swansea. If your vehicle was registered before the end of 2013 then the street view map shown on the car registration page will point to the original office despite the fact that the office has closed.