Is The Car Taxed And MOTd?
Does This Vehicle Have An MOT And Tax?
It's essential to understand the tax and MOT status of a vehicle if you are buying it and it has been advertised with having tax and MOT.
It's easy to use the government website to find out the status.
Remember it's illegal to drive a car without an MOT unless:
- You are driving to an MOT station and have an appointment. This is the only circumstance under which you can drive a vehicle without tax.
- Or, your vehicle is either:
- A tractor
- Less than three years old
- An electric vehicle
- Cars and bikes made before 1960
- Over 40 years old and not been substantially modified (as of 20th May 2018)
Some minor variations also apply so check with the DVLA or the police if you are unsure.
Use the DVLA's Vehicle Enquiry Service to find the tax and MOT status.
Search For Your Car
Please note: At the end of 2013 all 39 local DVLA offices closed and the DVLA transferred all dealings to its national centre at Swansea. If your vehicle was registered before the end of 2013 then the street view map shown on the car registration page will point to the original office despite the fact that the office has closed.